VISISIONSHARE (blog header)_edited

Friday, April 27, 2007

ON THE ROAD WITH LUIZ MENDES: Boiçucanga Bonus

img_6084_edited

Being on the road and far away from home can be a draining experience, even under the best of circumstances. But rest and renewal come from being close to nature, which after all is our mother, our teacher and our healer. So it was a special bonus to spend some days at Boiçucanga which is a town on São Paulo state's northern coastline. The name comes from the Tupiniquin Indian language. Boi means snake. Açu means big and Canga means head.

However, for us, boiçucanga did not mean a big-headed snake but rather a beija-flor or humming bird.

IMG_3987_edited

Here on a mountain ridge in a forest and overlooking the ocean

img_6095_edited

a little church sits like the nest of a humming bird.

img_6079_edited

A likeness of Padrinho Sebastião stands at its entrance.

img_6080_edited

Padrinho (now deceased) predicted that he would become a humming bird in one of his late hymns.

Play the hymn.

Oh my God, oh my God
My God where am I?
Oh my God, oh my God
I am a humming-bird

Oh my God, oh my God
My God where are You?
Oh my God, oh my God
On the earth and the seaside
....

In this wonderful setting,
we prayed

img_6138_edited

img_6143_edited

and, of course, we played

img_3779_edited

img_3808_edited

img_3809_edited

with Sergio's family and friends

img_3877_edited

img_3946_edited

and felt the closeness of Madrinha Rita

img_6165_edited

Padrinho Sebastião

img_3963_edited

and Mestre Irineu.

img_6085_edited

Click for a slideshow of more photos.

No comments: